Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Caribbean Cruise over Mardi Gras

Lori and I went on a “7 night Exotic Western Caribbean Cruise” the week of Mardi Gras. Scarlett, Damon, Stella, Jamie, Caroline, and Damon’s parents/grandmother/aunt were also on the trip.

The boat set sail around 6pm on the Sunday before Mardi Gras from New Orleans. We had lunch at Frenier Landing (highly recommend) with my parents who then dropped us off at the terminal. Traffic getting through New Orleans (parades) made for a little longer drive than usual, but we made it in plenty of time. The Pourciau’s, on the other hand, had a far more eventful ride in…hopefully Scarlett will include all those details in Stella’s blog!

The itinerary had us Sunday night and Monday at sea, Tuesday in Costa Maya, Wednesday in Guatemala, Thursday in Belize, Friday in Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen, Saturday at sea, and back in NOLA first thing Sunday morning.

The days at sea consisted of eating, shows, working out (mostly Lori), ping pong, eating, napping, eating, etc.

In Costa Maya, we (me, Lori, Damon and his dad) bike and kayak shore excursion….I will provide details when Damon gets his pictures developed since Lori and I didn’t take any. I think we all had a great time! Here's a couple from the ship:



In Guatemala, we (Zeringues, 5/7 of the Pourciaus, Jamie, and Caroline) spent the day relaxing, playing beach volleyball and ping pong, and eating at the Amatique Bay Resort. Once again, no pictures yet from the excursion, but here’s a couple from the ship:


In Belize, we (Zeringues, 2/7 of the Pourciaus, Jamie, and Caroline) took about an hour ride into the jungle to go aerial trekking (ziplines) and cave tubing …this was definitely the highlight of the shore excursions. Once again, no pictures yet.

In Cozumel/Playa del Carmen, we (Zeringues, 1/7 of the Pourciaus - Scarlett, Jamie, and Caroline) took a nauseating 45 minute boat ride to the mainland, followed by a 1 hour bus ride to the Tulum Mayan ruins. I have a ton of pictures there…here’s a sampling.


Not yet nauseated!




These iguanas were everywhere!

This picture is totally staged!
"Should we go in?"
"Yep!"


I was impressed with this wall. It surrounded the entire site and was about 10 - 15 feet wide and 10 - 15 feet tall.

Here's some signs in Cozumel that Lori found entertaining:


In short, we all had a great time. The seas were a little rougher than my previous cruises, but not too bad. (Lori tends to get motion sickness, but handled the conditions pretty well) The onship entertainment was average…some good, some bad. The food was average…some good, some bad (didn’t stop us from eating way too much of it -especially the men). The ship was spotless. The rooms were small (duh…it’s a cruise ship). I’d say 3/4 of our excursions were great! I'll update the pictures as I get them!

2 comments:

Scarlett Pourciau said...

Aaaaahhhhh! You beat me! Okay, and how freaking pale do I look next to Lori? I'm never going to the beach near her again.

Unknown said...

Pale or not, ya'll looked like you were having a great time!!!

P.S. I would have been as RED as a beet! ;-)